We’re often asked – what exactly is the finish on your exhausts? Is it a coating? Why not just polish? Isn’t that just sand blasting? Definitely not! SOUL uses a proprietary blend of premium blasting media that was specifically arrived on after much testing to get the look that you see on our systems today. You may recognize the look on another premium manufacturer’s exhausts – Akrapovič. Let’s discuss the benefits to “Signature Satin”!
During development of our finish, we tested different blasting materials affect the surface in different ways. One organic material left an inconsistent, undesirable look. Another media during testing was not durable enough and broke down quickly. Our proprietary blend of media and blasting process yields the best possible results and a quality resulting finish that we call “Signature Satin”.
Benefits of bead blasting:
- Helps our fabricators to make sure the welding surfaces are free of any contaminants before welding. It’s possible to share tools (wire brushes, sanding pads) across different metal types which embed material like carbon into stainless steel.
- Reveals any imperfections in the welding process such as pinholes that may not be noticeable with a polished finish
- Environmentally friendly. Polishing metal by hand can create harmful dust that is a skin and lung irritant. Our blasting stations are constantly filtered and regularly changed to ensure consistency and quality. The used media is then recycled.
- A uniform, desirable looking finish that can be refreshed at any time
- Allows us to apply the finish in stages during fabrication to minimize machining marks and scratches. It’s very difficult to remove these marks from hard to reach areas on a finished product with hand polishing.
- Clean and ready for ceramic coating – such as Jet-Hot 1500 Extreme!
- Allows us to incorporate custom logos into our components as seen below!
We’re also able to refresh old exhaust components! Below is a pair of our 981 Boxster / Cayman Competition Headers that saw almost three years of daily driving in all kinds of weather. We’re able to restore the finish to almost new!
Signature Satin is our signature that every SOUL exhaust component has been thoroughly inspected and finished to our high standards.