Our friends at RR Racing have announced availability of their Supercharger Kit for the 991.1 Carrera. We experienced this supercharger kit in person, and it did not disappoint. We’ve seen many turbo/supercharger kits for various applications over the years, and quite frankly this is one of the most impressive ones we’ve seen to date. The attention to detail and quality of the components is second to none, and the performance is superb. Just listen to the sound of the kit paired with our Long Tube Competition Headers!
- Procharger P1-X head unit: The latest in centrifugal supercharger technology: the new Procharger P1-X, capable of delivering over 600hp.
- Autonomous Drive System: Rather than utilize the factory accessory belt as most systems do, they designed a new dual belt crank pulley that allows the supercharger to be driven by it’s own belt. This reduces the load and wear on the belt making for a more reliable drive system. Another advantage to an autonomous drive system is that they do not increase stress to the accessories such as the AC compressor and water pump. When a single belt is used for both accessories and the supercharger, the added belt tension due to load from the supercharger results in reduced life of the accessories.
- Harmonically Dampened Custom Crankshaft Pulley: Rather than leave well enough alone, RR utilized an ATi Super Damper specifically tuned to the higher power output of the engine. The ATi Super Damper eliminates torsional vibrations that could compromise engine reliability.
- Custom Bell Intercooler: Manufactured by Bell Intercoolers in USA, the RR air/water heat exchanger core is extremely efficient and capable of supporting over 600hp.
- Porsche OEM radiator & Davies Craig water pump: RR utilizes the OEM ducted Porsche center radiator for the intercooler. The cooler is integrated with the OEM center radiator for additional cooling for track applications. The Davies Craig water pump provides approximately 3 times the water flow of standard Bosch pumps, ensuring rapid cooling of the heat exchanger. An additional water reservoir is added in the frunk compartment resulting in an increase in water capacity of 50%.
- Turbosmart Power Port Blow off Valve: Rather than use a cheap Bosch blow off valve as found on many kits, RR uses a massive 2.5” Turbosmart Powerport BOV. A large capacity BOV is essential for long term reliability because in a supercharged application, it is crucial to rapidly reduce pressure ahead of the throttle body during throttle transitions. Doing so results in optimal throttle response, and minimizes stress/wear on SC components.
- Billet Belt Tensioner and Pulleys: Belt tension is critical to reducing belt slippage and consistent performance. Rather than use the weak OEM tensioner on the accessory belt, or some other off-the-shelf tensioner, RR builds their billet tensioner in-house which allows up to 2 times the tension of a conventional tensioner, is machined from 6061-T6, and features a sealed bearing system for long-term reliability.
- CAD designed, CNC machined & Anodized 6061-T6 brackets
- Gates Racing Belt: The finest Kevlar reinforced high performance serpentine belt on the market.
- Standard water-methanol injection system: For maximum reliability and power, a water/methanol injection system is added. Water/methanol injection is an extremely effective way to increase effective fuel octane and cooling. Such systems are even utilized in OEM applications, such as on the BMW M4 GTS. An added benefit to water/methanol injection is the cleaning effect. Engines running with water/methanol are effectively “steam cleaned” and do not suffer from carbon buildup issues common with direct injected engines such as the 9A1.
- Custom ECU programming and Dimsport handheld OBD Programmer: Every kit includes a custom in house developed tune. The tune can easily be customized and updated with the provided Dimsport OBD programmer in a matter of minutes.
How does the performance of a supercharged 991.1 Carrera S compare to a stock Carrera S, 991 GT3, or 991 Turbo?
One of the best indicators of real world performance is the 100-200kph acceleration time (62mph – 124mph). This acceleration range is typically what you would see at the track exiting a corner and accelerating onto a straightaway. Using a VBox GPS accelerometer, RR have measured 100-200kph times with our Stage 1 configuration of only 7.36seconds, which equals what you would expect from a 991 turbo, and is quicker than a 991 GT3 (approx. 8 sec) or stock Carrera S (approx. 9 sec).
For more information, check out RR Racing’s website here.
Questions? Comments? Considering a build of your own? Let us know – our experts want to help!